Call for Presenters: DiversifiED Conference
A day to inspire, connect and elevate educators of color.
Hosted by the Tennessee Educators of Color Alliance (TECA)
TSU Avon Williams Campus in Downtown Nashville
Saturday, February 24, 2018
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT EXTENDED TO JANUARY 17
The Tennessee Educators of Color Alliance (TECA) is a burgeoning professional networking organization. TECA believes in order to promote equitable outcomes and excellence in education more educators of color need a stronger presence at every level in our public school systems.
TECA is hosting its first annual leadership conference where pre-service educators, in-service educators, and teacher educators will come together to connect with each other and learn from leaders in the field. Conference organizers are seeking qualified presenters to offer engaging, interactive sessions in two distinct workshop blocks:
Morning Workshop Block: Inspire
Mentorship is one of three main areas of focus for TECA. During the “Inspire” workshop block, presenters will offer skills-based sessions that bridge theory to practice to help educators navigate some of the most challenging, complex aspects of their work. Topics of interest include:
- Family engagement strategies for communities of color
- Restorative justice / eliminating discipline disparities for students of color
- Adverse childhood experiences / trauma-informed classroom practices
- Culturally responsive teaching / diverse texts and literacy strategies
- Inspiring students to become teachers
Afternoon Workshop Block: Elevate
Leadership development is one of three main areas of focus for TECA. During the “Elevate” workshop block, presenters will offer practical, actionable guidance to help educators prepare for the next step in their career path. Topics of interest include:
- Interview prep and other career prep for pre-service educators
- Leadership pathways within education without becoming an administrator
- Becoming an advocate within your school / teacher organizing
- Professional learning networks
Choose Your Audience:
Presenters must gear their workshop toward one or more specific audience group:
- Pre-service track (student teachers)
- In-service track (current teachers)
- Teacher educator track (coaches, school administrators and college professors)
Presenters must be able to describe how their presentation serves their chosen audience group(s).
Presenters need to have relevant professional experience in their presentation topic area. No presentations for commercial products or services will be accepted. The deadline for application submissions has been extended to Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 5 p.m. CST.